And here's the first update. It was so much faster than the first batch, I'm starting to wonder if I didn't really learn a few tricks as I went. Sure, it's smaller: 50 icons, no more, no less. But seriously, some of them were ridiculous. I mean, have you ever tried to google the Wizardry series' covers? Do it. Then look at the icons. It's a real pain in the ass, and while it may look so-so to the trained eye, the result is still pretty much bearable (otoh I'm using 256x256 in thumbnail view, so it alleviates some of the problems). The main problem, I feel, is finding decent source material. I'm using quite a few fanarts (when the quality is good enough - and that doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like it to), but I still prefer modifying the official covers. It's easier to find the games with those.
The problem is, even decent original sources are becoming a PITA. Mobygames butchers everything it touches, decent scans are few and far between, and I've seen so many boxes, manuals and so on in a state that doesn't even half qualify as decent it makes me want to cry at this point.
There are so many great artworks that are seemingly lost forever, and there isn't any initiative to recover and restore them. And that's very, very sad. I lost hope of getting a nice Deathlord icon, for example. And that may be the greatest loss of all. But enough ranting, on to the point.
Download: over here.